A321 Occurance Thread

Seen anything unusual at DFW lately? Tell us about it here.

A321 Occurance Thread

Postby ZuluLima on Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:44 pm

I Happened to be thinking about some different A321 topics lately, so for the hell of it, here is a breakdown of sighting opportunities for the stretch-bus. Before 2008 or so DFW really didn't host many A321 flights, just the odd US Airways substitution. Now that the plane is more popular across the industry we can look forward to some more sightings.

American:
AA is on the verge of taking its first A321s, which hopefully will be flown to Dallas for training, familiarization, etc. before entering service on the LAX-JFK route in Jan. 2014. Five should enter the fleet by year's end. At least 2 have been built so far, one painted and flying. The first batch delivered (11 or 12) will be configured for the transcon routes and won't see DFW except on rare occasions. After that we should get normal config. 321s operating current 757 routes here, with deliveries slated for 2Q14. All of the AA birds will have the new winglets and IAE V2500 engines. Total orders are for 65 current A321s and additional A321NEOs from 2017 onwards.

US Airways:
US owns 90 A321s to date, 15 of those delivered this year. Engines are split between IAE and CFM, and none have winglets thus far. We have been seeing more A321 flights from US lately; multiple daily frequencies from CLT and PHX. These are the only regular A321 flights DFW has had to date, so variety has been hard to come by.

TACA:
The only other airline besides US that I can remember having A321s serve DFW is TACA, or AVIANCA now. They aren't exactly regular visitors any more, but do show up sometimes on the daily flight to El Salvador. TACA owns 5 with IAE engines and no winglets, most having made it to the new livery.

Spirit:
Spirit is down to just 2 A321s, which are still in the old digital livery with IAE engines and without winglets. Despite adding quite a number of routes to DFW, they still don't operate the A321 here. As far as I know, none has ever been here; although checking Flightaware shows they make the rounds to more than a few airports in the NK system on occasion. Let us know if you see (or have seen) one in DFW.

JetBlue:
B6 have just taken delivery of their first A321, which has IAE engines and winglets, along with a new paint scheme/tail design. They will use them for high-density routes where needed, which could hopefully mean DFW in the summer, but I wouldn't bet on it just yet. JetBlue has something like 80 A321 CEO/NEO orders on the books for the remainder of the decade.

Air Canada:
10 A321s with CFM engines and no winglets currently wear the minty livery. I have a photo of exactly 1 AC A321 in DFW, and that was many years ago on an equipment substitution. Don't expect to see more any time soon. Air Canada seem happy to leave DFW to regional aircraft, and an A319 would be all we could reasonably expect to see in upgauge in the near future.

Delta:
Delta, who like to send most varieties of narrowbody through DFW at some time during the year, have ordered 30 A321s to be delivered from early 2016 through 2017. They will have CFM56 engines and winglets. Stay tuned...

That about wraps up known current/future A321 operators who serve DFW now. Its conceivable that United, Frontier, or Virgin America could supplement their Airbus fleets with the stretchy-bird, but I think any of those three, or other non-DFW airlines, would be long-term opportunities. Happy spotting.
File Error. Witty comment number 473 not found.
ZuluLima

Re: A321 Occurance Thread

Postby ZuluLima on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:01 pm

Update: AA is taking deliveries and they are indeed coming to DFW for acceptance. I shot 104 yesterday on arrival from Hamburg via Bangor. This was the 3rd delivery after N101NN and N102NN. Keep an eye out.
File Error. Witty comment number 473 not found.
ZuluLima

Postby Greg on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:51 pm

Interesting that they are being delivered to DFW as they will not be seen in service here very often! Either way, a great chance as you point out to photograph them. I've yet to catch a 319 or 321 for AA, so I am behind the times.
Greg
Site Administrator

Postby PlanoTXWX on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:04 pm

Both of you are much more in-touch with arrivals of the A321 than I am. I will keep an eye on this thread so if you know one is coming please give me notice, or tweet me @planotxwx

Thanks...
PlanoTXWX

Return to Unusual Sightings