Is That Two 727's On Tarmac ???

Seen anything unusual at DFW lately? Tell us about it here.

Is That Two 727's On Tarmac ???

Postby PlanoTXWX on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:04 pm

I see what appears to be two 727's on the Tarmac across from the D terminal. Does anyone know if it is 727's?

PlanoTXWX

Re: Is That Two 727's On Tarmac ???

Postby Greg on Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:57 am

Not sure on the white one, but I think it is also Kalitta Charters II, which the one with the stripes is. Cargo charter outfit.
Greg
Site Administrator

Postby ZuluLima on Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:17 pm

There have been quite a few 727 flights around lately. On Wednesday night there were 3 here at the same time. Kalitta Charters II has been flying to Del Bahio Guanajuato via Del Rio if I recall correctly. One has the winglet mod. If I see the white one on the ramp I'll try to get a tail number, but I doubt it's anyone but KCII. They have been parking on both the old GA ramp and over at LH Cargo, where one was joined by a USA Jet MD-80F (first I've ever seen) a week ago. I would guess auto parts hauling is what's going on.
File Error. Witty comment number 473 not found.
ZuluLima

Postby PlanoTXWX on Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:53 pm

ZuluLima wrote:There have been quite a few 727 flights around lately. On Wednesday night there were 3 here at the same time. Kalitta Charters II has been flying to Del Bahio Guanajuato via Del Rio if I recall correctly. One has the winglet mod. If I see the white one on the ramp I'll try to get a tail number, but I doubt it's anyone but KCII. They have been parking on both the old GA ramp and over at LH Cargo, where one was joined by a USA Jet MD-80F (first I've ever seen) a week ago. I would guess auto parts hauling is what's going on.

Seeing a 727 was a surprise. I looked them up and found both are—as both of you said—Kalita. I thought most 727's were made into beer cans by now, but not surprised that Kalita would be the company flying them.
PlanoTXWX

Postby ZuluLima on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:09 pm

Update: They're going to Laredo from here, and the white ones are IFL Group. Both airlines are flying them with and without winglets. N216WE landed in afternoon sunlight today and yesterday. There are lots of flights happening around the clock, and as a bonus, a USA Jet MD-80 freighter is in on the fun too.

Seen so far:

IFL - N215WE
IFL - N216WE
IFL - N251FL (winglets)
KCII - N724CK
KCII - N726CK
KCII - N729CK (winglets)
ZuluLima

Postby Greg on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 am

Would be awesome if one of these turned up during my next Founders Plaza trip...
Greg
Site Administrator

Postby ZuluLima on Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:14 pm

Well then some good news for ya. I talked to a Worldwide ramper last night who is working the contract. They are flying SUV drive-train components from factory to factory utilizing 6 aircraft around the clock. According to him, this will continue FOR SIX MONTHS. Yay trijets.
ZuluLima

Postby PlanoTXWX on Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:27 pm

ZuluLima wrote:Well then some good news for ya. I talked to a Worldwide ramper last night who is working the contract. They are flying SUV drive-train components from factory to factory utilizing 6 aircraft around the clock. According to him, this will continue FOR SIX MONTHS. Yay trijets.

Good news knowing the scoop. I would really like a few pictures before the 727's completely disappear. Unless they turn into this generations DC-3's, but I kind of doubt it...
PlanoTXWX

Postby ZuluLima on Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:51 pm

Last night this little guy helped out:

Century Airlines DC-9-15F - N563PC. It has a big black nose now.
ZuluLima

Postby ZuluLima on Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:20 pm

Well all of this activity has dried up this week. So much for the 6 months predicted by that ramper. Just in time for me to get out to the ramp at night with my camera too...
ZuluLima

Next

Return to Unusual Sightings