Air India intends to launch DFW service later this year

DFW News and other topics posted by our members.

Air India intends to launch DFW service later this year

Postby Greg on Tue May 09, 2017 5:35 pm

Air India is planning to launch service to DFW in the fourth quarter of 2017, according to comments by Chairman Ashwani Lohani: "To Washington from 7th July; Stockholm from 15th August and Los Angeles from 1st September to be followed by Tel Aviv, Dallas and Nairobi sometime later during the year 2017 itself. Air India spreads its wings far and wide."

We haven't seen any official requests for route authority yet with the DOT, so we can't report route frequencies or equipment to be used yet, hence we will say that they intend to launch service at this point. I have a question out to DFW Airport on the matter; will update once I get a response.

Times of India

Hindustan Times
Greg
Site Administrator

Re: Air India to launch DFW service later this year

Postby captmidnight on Tue May 09, 2017 8:03 pm

I'll wait for the official announcement. So I will have to wait with fingers crossed
captmidnight

Re: Air India to launch DFW service later this year

Postby panamboy70 on Wed May 10, 2017 2:01 am

captmidnight wrote:I'll wait for the official announcement. So I will have to wait with fingers crossed

This is just not passing the smell test. I mean making an official company announcement from a personal Facebook page, really....? And the fact that Air India has remained silent, seems a little odd to me.
panamboy70

Re: Air India intends to launch DFW service later this year

Postby Rockwall Tim on Wed May 10, 2017 8:45 am

I love their look...great livery!
Rockwall Tim

Postby Greg on Wed May 10, 2017 2:20 pm

panamboy70 wrote:
captmidnight wrote:I'll wait for the official announcement. So I will have to wait with fingers crossed

This is just not passing the smell test. I mean making an official company announcement from a personal Facebook page, really....? And the fact that Air India has remained silent, seems a little odd to me.

I agree there - Air India certainly has an unusual way of going about things. I would doubt they would be a going concern if not for govt. subsidies bailing out some of their odd routes and decisions. Anyway, that's way I put "intends" to launch!
Greg
Site Administrator

Postby JGFrisco on Thu May 11, 2017 8:10 pm

I strongly question this. The biggest thing here is that Air India is a Star Alliance member. If they were going to start service to Texas, I would think they would start with Houston and their United hub, not DFW.
JGFrisco

Postby panamboy70 on Fri May 12, 2017 3:57 am

JGFrisco wrote:I strongly question this. The biggest thing here is that Air India is a Star Alliance member. If they were going to start service to Texas, I would think they would start with Houston and their United hub, not DFW.

True, but we have a larger
Desi population in the DFW area, which likely weighed heavily in our favor. Still, I am not felling this. Speaking of Houston, looks like that China Eastern service was a red herring.
panamboy70

Postby Greg on Fri May 12, 2017 3:59 pm

I asked DFW Airport for a comment on Tuesday night, but none have been provided so far.
Greg
Site Administrator

Postby panamboy70 on Sat May 13, 2017 10:32 am

Greg wrote:I asked DFW Airport for a comment on Tuesday night, but none have been provided so far.

Interesting, again looks to be a non-starter, hopefully I am wrong.
panamboy70

Postby JGFrisco on Wed May 17, 2017 8:34 pm

panamboy70 wrote:
JGFrisco wrote:I strongly question this. The biggest thing here is that Air India is a Star Alliance member. If they were going to start service to Texas, I would think they would start with Houston and their United hub, not DFW.

True, but we have a larger
Desi population in the DFW area, which likely weighed heavily in our favor. Still, I am not felling this. Speaking of Houston, looks like that China Eastern service was a red herring.

AI's current American destinations are:

Chicago
JFK
Newark
San Francisco
Dulles

UA hubs all.
JGFrisco

Next

Return to DFW News & Discussion